Amazing Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Ready In:
This recipe is the best macaroni and cheese I have ever had. I couldn't stop commenting on how good it was. It is thick but still creamy, filling without being greasy or heavy. You can make this ahead of time and store in the fridge, popping it into the oven 20 minutes before you're ready to eat to serve it warm.
- 2 cup elbow macaroni pasta
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 24 oz evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 pinch paprika (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
Spray a 9x13-inch (approximately) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Stir in the macaroni and return to a boil. Cook pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until it has cooked through but it still slightly firm, about 8 minutes. Drain pasta and rinse it in the strainer.
- Using the same pot, slowly melt butter over low heat. Stir in evaporated milk and black pepper; cook until heated through.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl until smooth. Whisk the eggs back into the pot with the evaporated milk mixture. Continue to heat gently while stirring constantly until the evaporated milk mixture almost comes to a simmer and the sauce thickens.
- Gently mix salt and cooked macaroni into the sauce and stir to combine.
- Cover bottom of pan with macaroni, then add a layer of cheese. Repeat until you have added all the macaroni and top with cheese, paprika, and bread crumbs (optional).
Bake until casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes.