Baked Crêpes Cacciatore with Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Yield: 12 parcels (4-6 Servings)
- Ready In:
A twist to the traditional crêpe. A small amount of effort for a meal well worth it. Have them for dinner with salad and you'll be delightfully satisfied.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 2.5 cup button mushrooms washed, sliced 1/2 cm thick
- 1 medium red capsicum cored, deseeded, finely diced
- 1 large green chilli (mild) cored, deseeded, finely diced
- 1/2 large brown onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp white flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (low-salt)
- 1 400g can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz) drained
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce
- 2 cups roast chicken (or precooked) shredded
- 1 cup thickened cream light
- 1.5 cup parmesan cheese grated
- black pepper freshly ground
- 12 8-inch crêpes (see BASIC CREPES recipe - tripled)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika ground
- To make the filling:
In a 12-inch deep frypan, heat 1 Tbs of the oil and butter over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add mushrooms, season with 1/2 tsp. salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms release much of their liquid and begin to brown; 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and return the pan to the heat.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbs. oil, capsicum, chilli, onion, rosemary, and 1 tsp. salt. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes; don’t let them brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for a minute or until slightly browned. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring for about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer again and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to slightly thicken the sauce.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and simmer for a few minutes until everything is heated through. Remove from the heat and season to taste with more salt, pepper, hot sauce, or lemon juice. Cover the filling and keep warm.
- To make the cheese sauce:
In a heavy-based medium saucepan, bring the cream to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until the cream has reduced by half; about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese, stirring until melted. Season generously with pepper. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Assemble and bake the crêpes:
Position a rack in the centre of the oven and heat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Spray the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking dish with oil.
- Make 12 crepes (as per the BASIC CREPES recipe) and keep warm.
- Lay a few crêpes at a time on a clean work surface. Spoon about 3 heaping Tbs. of the filling evenly onto the bottom third of each crêpe. Fold the bottom edge of each crêpe up and over the filling, fold the sides in toward the center, and finish rolling up from the bottom. Evenly arrange the crêpes seam side down in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Spread the cheese sauce evenly over the crêpes and sprinkle with the paprika (if desired). Bake until the sauce is golden and bubbling slightly, 12 to 16 minutes. Serve with salad.
- Make Ahead Tip:
The filling may also be made up to 3 days ahead. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat over medium-low heat before using it.