Morning Glory Muffins
- Yield: 18 muffins
- Ready In:
It's like a carrot cake in a muffin!
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup banana mashed (overripe is best)
- 0.25 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup wholemeal flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 cup carrots grated
- 1 apple medium - peeled, cored, chopped into small chunks
- 1 cup sultanas (alternative: raisins)
- 2 tbsp walnuts chopped (if desired
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F). Lightly oil 18 muffin cups, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple butter, oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in carrots, apples and raisins. Stir in apple butter mixture until just moistened.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Sprinkle walnuts on top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.