VN:R_U [1.9.22_1171]Caramelised Onion and Prosciutto Pull-apart Pies,
Caramelised Onion and Prosciutto Pull-apart Pies
- Yield: 9 mini pies
- Ready In:
A wonderful meal to share at any time of the day
- 60 g butter
- 80 mL olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 brown onion halved, thinly sliced
- 18 sheets filo pastry thawed
- 9 proscuitto slices thin; torn into bite-sized pieces
- 9 eggs
- 0.5 cup light milk
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 0.5 cup tasty/cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Brush a round 5cm-deep, 24cm (base measurement) pie dish with spray oil. Heat 10g butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until deep golden. Set aside to cool.
- Melt remaining butter in a bowl. Add remaining oil to butter and mix well. Place filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a dry tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this prevents it from drying out).
- Separate 1 filo sheet and brush with a little of the oil mixture. Top with another filo sheet and brush with oil mixture. Repeat with another 5 filo sheets and oil mixture to make a 6-sheet stack. Repeat with oil mixture and remaining filo sheets to make 2 more stacks.
- Cut each stack into 6 squares.
- Brush 1 filo square with oil mixture. Top with another filo square, turning 90 degrees, to make a star shape. Repeat with the remaining filo squares and oil mixture to make 8 more stars.
- Shape each star into a cup. Arrange 8 cups around the edge of the prepared dish. Place the remaining cup in the centre.
- Divide the prosciutto and onion among the filo cups in the dish. Whisk the eggs, milk and parsley in a large jug. Season with salt and pepper. Carefully pour the egg mixture among the filo cups, being careful not to spill it between the cups. Sprinkle the cheddar evenly over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the egg mixture is just set and the filo is dark golden. Serve warm or at room temperature with a garden salad.