Southern Pulled Pork BBQ
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Ready In:
Home away from home! Living in Australia means we don't get this uniquely delicious meal that originated in the Southern states of the USA. Be warned Aussie's, this is not like your ordinary BBQ! Nonetheless, we're pretty sure you'll come to love their BBQ just as much as we do!
- 1 1/2 kg pork shoulder roast
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar light
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Mix together the barbecue sauce, ketchup, onion, celery, water, garlic, honey, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, salt, and black pepper in a slow cooker until thoroughly combined.
- If present, remove rind and fat layer on pork shoulder.
- Place a large frying pan on the stove on high. When hot, add oil to the pan and then pork shoulder.
- Panfry each edge of the meat for 1-2min to seal the meat. Remove pork roast from pan and place into the slow cooker.
- Spoon sauce over the meat and set cooker to 'LOW'. Cook for 7-8 hours.
- To serve, shred the meat with 2 forks and cover with sauce. BBQ is best served on a bun with coleslaw and sliced pickles.